Whether you’re an undergraduate or a grad student, we know that attending UC Berkeley can be a demanding experience.  If you start to feel that you can’t cope with the situation, whether it’s coursework or relationships or the general situation we’re all facing now, we hope that you will reach out.  There are people and offices here to support you.


All of the staff in the Center for Student Affairs are happy to talk to you about resources that are available to you.  Send us an e-mail or come on in and talk to one of us!


People vary in their ability to cope with stressful situations. If at any time you are having stress-related problems that persist or interfere with your health or well-being, especially if you feel overwhelmed, you may want to seek support.

UHS Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has 2 Engineering Counseling Satellite Offices: 241 Bechtel Engineering Center and 422 Sutardja Dai Hall.  They offer short term counseling for academic, career and personal issues, and are able to make outside referrals when longer care is needed. There is no charge to get started, and all registered students can access services regardless of their insurance plan.

Starting Fall 2021, both virtual appointments (zoom or phone) and in-person appointments are offered, depending on the students’ preferences and the counselors’ availability.  Meet the engineering counselors.

Basic Needs

“Basic Needs Security” refers to the food, housing, and wellness stability of our community. We understand that not having enough food or safe and stable housing has a direct impact on students’ mental, emotional, and physical health, as well as their academic performance, professional development, and holistic success. The Berkeley Basic Needs Security team has resources in place to help students, including The Berkeley Food Pantry in the basement of the MLK Student Union. They can also connect you wish CalFresh, free money for food available to anyone with a work study offer (you don’t have to have accepted). If you are skipping meals because you don’t have enough money to get by, please contact them. The Center for Student Affairs would be happy to assist you

Undocumented Student Support

Any members of our community who are undocumented should be aware both that that there is an office available to assist you with difficulties that you may be facing. The Undocumented Student Program can direct you to many sorts of resources on campus. They are also tracking the implications of changes to immigration policy for the Berkeley community. And again, the Center for Student Affairs in EECS wants to support you as well, and many of us have been through the UnDocuAlly program.

Other Concerns

  • Graduate Students also have the EECS Peers available to them. EECS Peers provides a fellow graduate student willing to listen to your problem and be supportive.
  • If you have a problem that you cannot resolve with your advisor or instructor, then you can turn to the EECS student grievance officer, Professor Anant Sahai. They can speak to you about your issue with strict confidentiality.
  • The Tang Center also has an extensive set of online resources for how to take care of yourself, which may be especially relevant during times of heightened stress. The packet includes tips for breathing exercises, napping, eating well, and where to pet dogs (not random ones…).
  • EECS graduate students started a list of Tips and a Frequently Asked Questions section for dealing with graduate student life.  The site includes lots of suggestions on dealing with issues related to both academic and personal life.