M.S. Advancement to Candidacy

  • Degree Checklist for M.S. Students
  • For both Plan I and Plan II (see below) M.S. students, you need to complete the  File EECS Application for Candidacy form have your research adviser sign it, and submit it to the Masters Student Services Advisor in 205 Cory by no later than the end of the 2nd week of classes in your final semester.
  • If you are planning to use Plan I for your M.S. Degree, you also need to complete the Graduate Division Application for Candidacy. Submit this to Michael Sun in 215 Cory no later than the end of the 2nd week of classes of your final semester. Candidacy is valid for 3 years.
  • Transfer credit may be awarded for a maximum of 4 semester or 6 quarter units of graduate coursework from another institution. Complete a  and submit all supporting documents.

Plan I or Plan II?

Most EECS M.S. students submit a Plan II thesis report because of its flexibility. You can learn more about the requirements for a Plan I thesis by reading the Graduate Division's Guide.

Plan I

Plan II


4-10 units of 299

3-6 units of 299

Advance to Candidacy

Department form + University form

Department form only

Thesis Committee

3 members

2 members

Thesis Format

University format (specific)

Department format (flexible)

Thesis Availability

University Library + EECS Website

EECS Website