• Degree Checklist for M.S. Students
  • For both Plan I and Plan II (see below) M.S. students, you need to complete the EECS Application for Candidacy form have your research adviser sign it, and submit it to the Masters Student Services Advisor in 215 Cory by no later than the end of the 2nd week of classes in your final semester.
  • If you are planning to use Plan I for your M.S. Degree, you will need to submit the advancement application through Calcentral. In the “Student Resources” Dashboard, under “Submit a Form,” choose “Higher Degrees Committees form.”
  • Candidacy is valid for 3 years.
  • Approximately 95% of EECS graduate students choose Plan 2 for the MS degree.
  • Transfer credit may be awarded for a maximum of 4 semester or 6 quarter units of graduate coursework from another institution. Complete a and submit all supporting documents.

Plan I or Plan II?

Most EECS M.S. students submit a Plan II thesis report because of its flexibility. You can learn more about the requirements for a Plan I thesis by reading the Graduate Division’s Guide.

Plan I Plan II
Coursework 4-10 units of 299 3-6 units of 299
Advance to Candidacy Department form + University form Department form only
Thesis Committee 3 members 2 members
Thesis Format University format (specific) Department format (flexible)
Thesis Availability University Library + EECS Website EECS Website