As with most academic procedures, your first stop should always be your friendly departmental Graduate Office. Students at Berkeley currently enroll in courses by using the new CalCentral System, described in great detail on the Student Information Systems website. CalCentral may also be used to add and drop classes through the fifth week of classes. Changes in your study list, including addition or deletion of classes, change of grading option or change in the number of units of a variable unit course (e.g. independent study courses) may be changed after the third week of classes by submitting an approved Graduate Petition To Change Class Schedule form to the EECS Graduate Office.

New graduate students will be asked to meet with a Temporary Advisor assigned to them by their staff Graduate Advisor. Prior to meeting with your Advisor, you should plan out a tentative schedule for your first year. For more information, consult with the staff Graduate Advisor.

After your first semester as a grad student at Berkeley, you will receive notification on your Class Enrollment dashboard for the next semester about when your CalCentral appointment times will be. Access to CalCentral for course registration is regulated by individual, preassigned appointments periods for Phases I and II. 

If you fail to register through CalCentral by the end of the third week of instruction, you must file a Petition for Late Enrollment/Registration to enroll in classes. Any student not officially registered by the end of the third week of instruction will be subject to a late registration fee.

To assist you in making course selections, the online Schedule of Classes lists all courses given for the semester, with the days, times and locations.

The following web pages contain essential information regarding registration, enrollment and privacy rights:

If you have any questions regarding CalCentral or your registration status, please contact or call (510) 642-5990.

Summer Registration: Students that wish to enroll in courses or units during the summer will need to pay the appropriate fees charged by the Summer Sessions department. For example, international students that intend to work off-campus will need to enroll in 299 units in order to work legally in the United States through Curricular Practical Training. The fees associated with summer session units either need to be paid directly by the student, or the student can discuss payment with their faculty adviser.