The Minor in Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences
The EECS minor, offered through the College of Engineering, is an optional program for students declared in another major but interested in coherent EECS study. It is available to all eligible students, regardless of their college.
Students interested in only studying computer science should consider the Computer Science Minor.
All courses must be technical in nature and completed for a letter grade
- EECS 16A
- EECS 16B
- CS 61A or E 7
- CS 61B or CS 61C
- 3 Upper Division EE, CS, or EECS courses
- EE or CS 195, H196, 197, 198, or 199 may not be used to fulfill this requirement. Graduate level courses may be considered by petition only; contact the Minor Advisor before enrolling.
EECS Minors: Where are they now?
- PhD programs at UCLA, Stanford, and Cal Tech in Electrical Engineering
- PhD program at UC Berkeley in Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences
- PhD program at Johns Hopkins in Biomedical Engineering
- Masters of Business Administration program at UC Berkeley
- Senior Software Engineers at Tesla, Waymo, and Informatica
- Controls Engineer at Clear Motion
- Project Managers at Apple and Uber
- Software Engineers at Google, Twitter, Illumino
- Senior Data Scientist at SpaceX
P/NP for Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 & Summer 2021
Students in the EECS minor program should take requirements for a letter grade in Summer 2021.
The faculty have voted that students in the EECS minor program may take courses for their major and for their breadth area for P/NP during Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021.
Declaring the minor
- Students must declare the minor at least one semester prior to graduation.
- To declare, student should submit the attached form once they have four or more of the minor requirements completed (your grades may still be pending).
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is required to apply for the minor.
- Submit to: Grayson Johnston, EECS Center for Student Affairs, 205 Cory Hall, email@example.com
Graduating with the minor
- Students must submit the EECS Minor Completion Form by the tenth week of their final semester.
- Students must maintain a cumulative and EECS GPA of at least 2.0 to graduate.
Upon successful completion of the minor coursework and procedures, students will receive a notation in the memorandum section of their transcript.
Policies to Note
- Students must be declared in a major other than Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences.
- Unfortunately, the EECS Department is unable to offer course enrollment priority to EECS minors.
- Students may only overlap one upper division course between their declared major and the EECS minor.
- Students may not complete both the EECS and CS minors.
- Due to the similarities in requirements, L&S Computer Science majors are discouraged from pursuing the EECS minor. They may only use “EE” or “EECS” titled upper division courses towards the minor and may not overlap any upper division courses between their major and the EECS minor.
- Classes taken during Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021 may be taken for Pass/Not Pass for the EECS minor. Classes taken during other semesters must be taken for letter grades.