Graduate Division requires that students be registered continuously until a degree is completed. If you want or need to take a leave of absence, don’t just vanish—notify your staff Graduate Advisor by email and bring them the withdrawal form. Your Graduate Advisor will process your withdrawal electronically. You do not need to file a petition at the Office of the Registrar. Your withdrawal will be effective the day it is entered into the system; however, processing will be delayed for 10 days.

If you are an international student, you must also see an advisor at the Berkeley International Office.  If you do not have plans to return, we will also ask you to complete the EECS Exit Survey.

Students who wish to discontinue their graduate study must formally withdraw from the University. This will simplify your process of being readmitted should you choose to return at a later time.