All Incomplete (I) grades must be replaced by a letter grade (or S/U where applicable) before you submit an application for advancement to candidacy for any graduate degree. If a course with an incomplete grade is not necessary for your degree, your Advisor may specify in writing for each such “I” grade that work undertaken in that course is neither necessary for, nor closely related to, your degree and that the removal of the “I” grade by completing the course requirements would only impede your progress toward the degree.

If no action is taken by a graduate student to change an “I” grade, the “I” will not change to an F as it would for an undergraduate but will remain an “I” on the transcript until you do something to change it.

You should be aware, however, that the Graduate Division will block your employment as a Graduate Student Instructor or Researcher if you have more than two incompletes at one time. The Graduate Division, in addition, may place you on probation if you accumulate more than two “I” grades. If you’re likely to exceed this limit, please proceed with all due haste to your Graduate Advisor’s office for advice.

To have an incomplete replaced by a grade, do not register for the course a second time. Instead, students should discuss directly with the instructor of the course what are the parameters and timeline to replace the grade.  Once those guidelines have been mutually agreed and set, and the student has completed the work, the instructor of the course can update the grade in Calcentral.  More information may be found on the Registrar’s website.